Sunday 18 February 2018

A snowy February Sunday

A snowy February Sunday.
I have a feeling this snow won’t amount to much, but for now it’s keeping me inside (the heated floor seems especially luxurious just now) I’m thinking it’s a good time to get started on a project I’ve been thinking of for a while- writing about all my stops on all of my tours! This is an especially ambitious project- we stop at A LOT of places, and because these places are all locally owned and operated- they all have amazing stories to tell. I get lost in these stories, these are the threads that weave the fabric of our city. The other thing is; the landscape is continually changing, I’m constantly meeting new people, trying new things....this story is continually unfolding.

So- I thought that I could try for three places per post, in the same general vicinity of the city. I’m hoping this might read a bit like a food tour, and then hopefully you’ll be inspired to check these places out yourself, so you can fall in love with Halifax like I do. Over and over again!

SOMO
This is what we mean by SOMO 
   
let’s start with the little district we call SOMO or south of Morris Street. This includes the Seaport 
Market, which on a Saturday is a wonderfully crowded spot and a treasure trove of  local treats, produce, art and handmade magic to discover. On Saturdays, especially in the winter, this is where
action is. I am thrilled my Saturday work day includes standing around taking in the live music by
local talent while I wait for guests. It’s a truly joyful atmosphere, vendors clap and cheer for the music, young parents chat while toddlers dance, folks enjoy the food while sitting on the risers and the whole building fills with the sun and the light reflected off the harbour.  Weekend parking is free in Halifax so  after you’re done at the market, you’ll want to extend your afternoon.


Community spirit in full swing at the seaport market

Fun facts about SOMO town: The Irish roots of this community began with Galic speaking fisherman who settled along the shoreline. The south end of Barrington street was a wealthy merchants district while Hollis street was more working class. Many of the original houses are still standing, giving us beautiful streets that are full of history. This end of town contains two National Historic sites as well.  The Henry House  and Georges Island  while you’re strolling through take some time to really look at the architecture. There are So many fascinating details giving clues to what life was like in the early 1800’s in Halifax.

This is a vibrant little district and when it comes to places to hang out you’re really spoiled for choice. We will revisit this area again and again but here are three suggestions for a Saturday    
afternoon after the Farmers Market.  



I spend a lot of time tucked in here- especially during the coldest months 

         


      

TRIDENT BOOKSELLERS.   1256 Hollis Street 
In the summer, the trident has a Screen Door that pings and bangs and takes me back in time. During the winter, especially when the it’s miserable outside, the trident is the place to be. Delightfully cozy and charming with  tables and chairs, set amongst books that gather around you with the warmth of old friends. This little cafe is nestled into one of the original buildings on Hollis street and has ties to
the Buddhist community here in Halifax. The Trident has been around for 25 years or so and serves up serious coffee. You can take a look in the back room and see where the coffee is roasted in very
small batches in an old style roaster
Even if coffee is not your thing, this operation is fascinating. There is also a treat menu; all baked in
house after the cafe closes in the evening. Other drinks are available, and then there are the books!
If I’m working on something, a creative project or new tour perhaps, I often find myself here browsing the stacks and sipping the house blend. I cannot tell you the amount of times inspiration has struck as I quietly contemplate the titles. The collection has been amassed over the years by the loyal
patrons, there’s something for everyone  and always something new. There are also remainder sales,
brand new books marked down to half the original price. Although the coffee line is often busy, the staff are warm, friendly and generous with their time. This is a place of discovery, and a place friendships start. You’ll  feel instantly at home here. Grab a coffee and begin treasure hunting for your next great read hidden on the shelves.

Rousseau  5151 South Street




Rousseau’s new Digs!





The story of  Rousseau is one of  those magical love stories I never get tired of telling- Nathalie and Julien met while working at the Old Mill resort in Ontario. Nathalie with her effortless and natural charm was in the hospitality department, and Julien, the talented pastry chef from the South of France. The two met and fell instantly in love. Not long after, the pair traveled to Europe together.
For two years they travand worked as Jullien learned chocolate  making with the Masters and Nathalie Front of house operations. 
It fills me with me with hometown pride that these two chose Halifax to open their own chocolate shop. They both say the old  world feel and European influence had much to do with their decision. Halifax is also a very safe city  perfect for raising a family .Their chocolate found a neiche in the market right away and Rousseau has been growing ever since. This year they opened their new and 
expanded location on south street just around the corner from the Trident. They now offer a full line 
of espresso and hot chocolate as well as Tasting option add on’s. In the summer , in the tradition of French chocolatiers I’m told they will offer ice cream . The chocolate creations are works of edible art, this is an experience that takes in all your senses. There are also macaroons, fresh, colourful and 
offered in an endless selection of unique flavours. The selection changes seasonally and as much as possible flavours are sourced locally and in partnership with other Local businesses. I am inspired to 
give gifts when I come to Rousseau, I always seem to find that perfect thing for someone special when I’m in. Stop in for a Tasting, a hot drink and browse the shelves. If you forget something (or someone) you can shop, ( and ship! ) Directly from their website. 



MORRIS EAST 5212 Morris street

  
be real, probably after a  Saturday  downtown you aren’t going to want to go home and make dinner. Despite even my best intentions, after a day of fun downtown, I am loathe to go home to start cooking  . I always want to extend my time out just a little longer.  This is when I suggest Morris east. There are always fantastic things here. Morris East was the first of it’s kind in Halifax. Thin crust pizza on a wood fired oven from Italy  all made with local ingredients. This spot wins big with the people’s choice awards in the Coast and over the years has garnered numerous accolades and 
mentions. You’ll cozy up to the exposed brick wall in this beautiful old building and enjoy the warmth and delicious aromas from the wood fired oven. Perfect After an afternoon spent out and about working up an appetite. Check in house and on the website for current specials. This is the perfect spot for a couple like Brian and I- although we both love good  pizza, I tend to be more adventurous than he and while he chooses a really well made meat and cheese option; I’m free to explore my creative side with features and seasonal specials. Think Walnut pesto, or blue cheese, pear and prosciutto all sourced locally! There are also soups, fresh salads , weekend brunch options, and an extensive local drink menu. Everything is cooked on the oven which makes the dessert menu especially compelling. Wood fired s’mores pique anyone’s interest? We often order a couple of things to share, I’ve got a weakness for the salted caramel tart and Bri especially enjoys the Lemon one. He would also like me to add that he never agreed to the sharing part - that was something I came up with and implemented all on my own apparently. Huh. 



Interested in taking a food tour.? We’ll be up and running in May for our full season and during the winter we’re doing the Saturday Afternoon Thing. Get in touch!



No comments:

Post a Comment